Friday, February 10, 2012

Sitting home this afternoon trying to get more things done via computer.  I had started a letter to our soldier son who is overseas.  Wouldn't it be great if the thoughts and feelings we had for our loved ones could go straight from heart/soul/mind to paper?  I wish he could understand the true honor and pride I have for all he does and has accomplished and learned.  He is a brand new father, arrived home and within 18 hours was a dad.  He was able to spend about 2 weeks with his new sweet daughter before returning to Afghanistan.  I am sure he thinks of her all the time, and his sweet wife.  They are his core family now and he leans on his wife alot to keep him grounded and centered.  Don't most of us have at least one person in our lives we know we can count on to keep us grounded and centered?  I know I do, and I am blessed for it. 

But, back to my original thought.  I was on the computer when the phone rang.  Upon answering I discovered it was a good friend (I think he's a good friend anyway), from cyberspace.  He is a fellow dialyzor using the great NXStage system.  He became the founder of a vast support group for dialyzors and care partners as well as making a large presence in D.C. regarding patient advocacy and changing the way dialysis appears.  He is one of my heroes in a sense.  It was such a pleasant moment to know it was him on the phone and being able to listen to his fun experiences traveling the world in his journey to speak out about dialysis, NXStage and home dialysis in general.  I so enjoyed our conversation. 

This got me to reminiscing once again about the importance in remembering that each day is such a gift.  This life we lead, this life of dialysis....it is hard.  It is not an easy life.  It is not for the faint-hearted, but it is doable!  There are days when I want to crawl back in bed and sleep the day away, or watch TV or movies all day.  Then there are days when I actually do just that.  We are allowed such indulgences.  Still, we press forward.  We live our lives one day at a time.  We have joys and sorrows, fears and frustrations but we still press forward.  I am blessed to know Rich.  I know many many people have benefitted from his tireless efforts for the dialysis community.  I feel honored to know people like Rich, Dori, Robin, Bill, Joanne.  I am also honored to be a mother to two amazing soldier sons, and 3 daughters.  I am fortunately blessed to have grandchildren who still see me as someone who can be trusted and loved.  Isn't this what life is about?  So, I will finish my letter to my son, pay a bill or two, pet one of the kitties who is curled up beside me on the warm printer and think about what to have for dinner.  I will hug my husband and maybe call my daughter.  Towards the end of evening I will pump up my emotions to conquer another dialysis treatment, I will sleep.  I will wake up in the morning and do it all again, and I will be blessed for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment